Skip to main content

Biography Book Review

Duke Ellington by Andrea Davis Pinkney was a great biography to read and would work well for most elementary-aged students. This book combines the use of pictures on every single page while also providing the students with great information about Duke Ellington's musical career. The book attempts to connect with the audience by starting off with his childhood and what he liked to do. This will help engage the students and hopefully inspire them to be great like Duke Ellington. It also talks about Duke Ellington and how his parents wanted him to do certain things that he did not want to do; almost every child deals with this at some point so it should be relatable to the students. I believe that all of the students in the classroom even if they do not want to become musicians would enjoy this book because of the message that it is sending. There is also a magical feeling to the story; Andrea Pinkey wrote it in positive terms and is eager to share the positive outcomes even after sharing something that seemed negative. When having elementary students read biographies, it is usually a good idea for them to have positive attributes involved and not have bad endings. The point of teaching biographies is to inspire and motivate children in a positive manner. 


The book starts off with Duke Ellington as a child and when he started to get interested in the piano because that is what his parents wanted him to do. It then progresses through his teen years and into his adult years. It talks about how he fell in love with the piano and practiced a lot until he became the great musician that he is known as. Towards the end of the book, it talks about how Duke Ellington's music became very popular to people, and through his talents, he was able to make friends and inspire others. The message that this book sends is great for younger elementary students because it points out that having a passion and working hard toward your dreams is very important. This book goes into depths about how music changed Duke Ellington's life and had amazing pictures to go along with it. I would recommend this to almost any elementary-aged student to read or for any elementary school teacher to read aloud to the students. 


Source


ErikTheElectric. Duke Ellington Read Aloud. 2014. YouTube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4hSSu7ojh0.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Writing Challenge Reflection on Revision

     Within the revisions, I added more details to the experience I have with coffee. I explained the coffee as my "warm blanket" and expanded on how it made me feel. The peer that I did the revisions with recommended to organize the writing more and make it more of a story. To do this, I started in the early morning and described the routine that I follow. As a morning person, I enjoy keeping things simple and relaxing. In order to add a negative side to the story, I discussed how coffee or this blanket of warmth can stain with just one touch. If there was anything that I could change about my "warm blanket" it would be that I could wear white without fear on the way to school. I also went into detail about what I do if I am heading to an 8am and have no time to make a fresh cup of coffee. It was important to mention the word "addiction" because it does make me the morning person that I strive to be although I would not say I am necessarily proud

Realistic Fiction Book Review

 The book that I am reviewing for the realistic fiction module is called "¡Fiesta!" by  Ginger Foglesong Guy. There are many reasons that I chose this book, but one of the main reasons was because it is bilingual which can be a very important aspect in elementary schools. It is common to have English Learners within your elementary classroom and to help them learn English it could be useful to have bilingual books. This type of book also exposes all of the students to different types of culture and languages that they may not be familiar with. The book has two different sets of text on each page, one is in English and the other is in Spanish. Therefore, no student is at a disadvantage and since the students are young this could benefit them in the near future when they are learning another language. This book does a great job of being interactive with the audience which will help keep all of the students engaged with the book while the teacher is reading. It also incorporates

(picture book) Book Review and group discussion on "Another" by Christian Robinson

*Possible spoiler for a picture book* We discussed this book as a group and came to the following agreement. This book is excellent for a picture book and leads to good discussions. Some of the topics that can be discussed include diversity, creativity, curiosity, and point of view. As a group, we were intrigued by the picture book but also wish there were some words at some points to make the point more clear. The words may add more discussion topics but creativity is also good. The discussion with my group was very good, we all had different points of view on the book which lead to a diverse discussion. My group mentioned that it showed the good and the bad or more of the opposite sometimes. I missed this theme but in the end, I agreed with them. Sometimes picture books depend on your point of view so it was helpful to discuss with others.  For the first book review, I will be writing about "Another" which was created by Christian Robinson and falls under the genre of a pic